Welcome to Writing Tip Wednesday! We're on Week 16 of this series, and another terrific writer friend Sara Humphreys is here to share her advice!
Top 10 Tips for New Writers
1. Write a book you would want to read: We all began as readers, right? That’s where new writers are born, so write a book that the reader inside you wants to devour.
2. Don’t try to be the next fill-in-big-bestseller-here: Trying to be someone else is never a good idea. Write YOUR book.
3. Guard your writing time: There are a million reasons not to find time to write but not one of them will get your book finished.
4. Write every day: Whether it’s 100 words or 5,000 words…get something on the page every day. It doesn't have to be brilliant and most of the time it won’t be but that’s okay. You can edit later and like Nora Roberts says…you can’t edit a blank page.
5. Create a peaceful space: My writing space changes from time to time but usually it’s in my office. I know if I close that door, I can shut out the noise of the world and focus.
6. Don't strive for perfection: Should you try to be a better writer? Sure. Perfect? No way. No one is perfect and neither is anyone’s writing.
7. Double save everything: Back up in the cloud, Google drive, an external hard drive. Back up your projects everywhere. Nothing is worse than losing your work.
8. Stay away from Goodreads: It’s a site for readers—not authors. It will suck the creativity right out of you.
9. Turn off the Internet: When writing, shut off the internet on your computer. Social media is a time-suck. It can feel like you were abducted by aliens. You say, I’ll just go on for a few minutes. Before you know it, three hours have vanished.
10. Ignore all of the above: Something I learned a long time ago is that there is no single right way to write. You have to find what works best for you. Your process will be exactly that…yours. Don't compare yourself or the way you write to anyone else. Be an original…be you.
In 2013 Sara’s novel UNTAMED won two PRISM awards–Dark Paranormal and Best of the Best.
She loves writing hot heroes and heroines with moxie but above all, Sara adores a satisfying happily-ever-after. She lives in New York with her husband, their four amazing sons, and two adorable pups. When she’s not writing or hanging out with the men in her life, she can be found working out with Shaun T in her living room or chatting with readers on Facebook.
For a full list of Sara’s books and reading order, please visit her website.
To book Sara for a speaking engagement for your school or writers group, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for being here today, Sara! I can't wait to see you in New York!
Romance...With A Kick!