Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday's Recipe--Salsa

It's tomato season!

I have only five tomato plants (two Roma, two Early Girl, one Sweet 100), but had more than enough tomatoes to make a double batch of salsa on Saturday. I use a mix of Roma and regular tomatoes to reduce the cooking time. If you like HOT salsa, substitute a jalapeno for one of the bell peppers.

Plan to spend all day on this project--three to four hours for picking, washing, and chopping vegetables; at least three to four hours of cooking time; at least two hours for the canning step. The effort is well worth the result!


Salsa

6-7 lbs. tomatoes, cored and chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
6 sweet banana peppers, chopped
3 red, yellow, OR green bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup+2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin

Mix all ingredients in large pot. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness. Fill sterilized jars and seal. Makes 7-8 pints.
*Note* Do not cook over higher temperatures. Tomatoes scorch easily.

This is my double batch in a medium canning pan. Just enough room to stir!

Enjoy with tortilla chips, on tacos and burritos, or in my Black Bean Dip. Remember that recipe with two ingredients from several months ago? :)

Mellanie Szereto
Romance...With a Kick!

2 comments:

  1. Aaaah, I love fresh salsa. There's just nothing better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use about 2-3 pints a month. Add those 16 pints I made Saturday to the supply I have left from last year and I have about 30 pints and 8 quarts. Sounds like a lot, but I don't want to run out before next year!

    ReplyDelete